Friday, January 16, 2009

Meals and Snacks



All food is included in the cost of care for all children over the age of 1 ½ to 2. I find this makes meal times easier and ceases complaints and jealousies about who has the “best” food. For babies, you are responsible for providing all necessary breast milk or formula and may choose whether to send your own choice of baby foods from home or to let your child eat the food provided at Munchkin Land.


I am a very health conscious person and I will strive to ensure that all the kids at Munchkin Land eat a well balanced diet made up of mostly organic foods including lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, and and healthy protein. I will be following the food pyramid when planning meals and snacks and will try to ensure that your child has at least 2 servings of both fruits and vegetables everyday while they are at Munchkin Land. On special occasions we might have treats like cupcakes or cookies but we won’t have them on a regular basis. In the summer we may often have Popsicles in the afternoon but they will be homemade Popsicles made with juice, fruits, and yogurts -not the store bought ones full of food coloring and sugar. All food served will be vegetarian. Children will be served milk at lunch time (either soy or dairy) and will be offered milk or water at snack times (or whenever they are thirsty). We won’t have juice on a regular basis as most doctors recommend only one cup per day or none at all, but may have it occasionally.

I think it's important to encourage kids to try new foods but I know not all kids appreciate variety. I myself was a very picky eater as a child (and honestly, am still a bit of one now) so I understand all about picky eaters. I will try my best to accommodate the individual food preferences of your children while trying to encourage them to try new foods as well.




When the weather gets nicer we will be starting a vegetable garden and the kids will help grow vegetables that we will eat with our snacks and meals. I find that kids not only enjoy gardening but that it also helps them learn to like new foods as they are often more likely to try a new food if it's something they grew themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment